Launching the Writer's Workshop: Merrillville
MERRILLVILLE, IN: August 1, 2017
Many teachers have confessed that they struggle to get their writer’s workshop off the ground. What should I do the first weeks of school? What are key lessons to jumpstart my writing curriculum? How fast or slow should I move? Regardless of the writing model you’re currently using, this full-day workshop provides participants with a powerful framework of lessons that can help launch their writing year. Throughout the day, attendees will have the opportunity to plot and plan their own instructional calendar for teaching writing during the first six weeks of school. Teachers walk out the door at the end of the workshop ready to go with their own blueprints in hand!
- Learn classroom-tested routines and procedures to establish the writing environment.
- Acquire lessons for the first days of school that set the tone for daily writing.
- Receive organizational ideas for writers’ notebooks.
- Learn day-by-day strategies to introduce the 6 Traits of writing so teachers and students are using a common language.
- Acquire mini-lesson ideas to target early-in-the-year writing skills.
- Discover recommended titles to support writing lessons with mentor text.
- Receive ready-to-go lessons with supporting resources, activity pages, and authentic student writing samples.
When you leave, you will be able to:
- Kick off the school year with a 20-day "game plan” for teaching writing.
- Implement a writer’s notebook in the classroom.
- Establish routines to effectively manage a writer’s workshop.
- Address common writer dependencies with procedural mini-lessons.
- Lead efficient and effective writing conferences with students.
- Develop a classroom writing rubric that students can use and understand.
- Take home a complimentary copy of Kristina’s book, Launching The Writer’s Workshop.
Free follow-up training video:
- Teachers who attend Launching the Writer's Workshop will be given a complimentary one-month subscription to Kristina's matching video on webPD, Rolling Out the Trait Language to Students (K-1, 2-5, 6-12).
- During the complimentary subscription period, teachers are encouraged to share access with every colleague in their school, allowing the entire staff to learn key concepts from the workshop.
Book & CD are free!
Attendees receive a FREE copy of Launching the Writer’s Workshop, available for K-2 or grades 3-12. This popular resource is loaded with lesson plans, anchor papers, and classroom photos and includes a CD with downloadable forms and handouts. (A $20 value!)
K-6 Classroom Teachers
Title I Teachers / Directors
6-12 ELA Teachers
K-12 Gifted & Talented Teachers
“The information, organization, and practicality were superb! This content will be vital for our school to build effective writers. We intend to implement a fluid & cohesive program.” J. Purcell (Southern Wells Elementary principal)
“I typically struggle with organizing and teaching writing. Within a few hours of engaging Kristina’s wisdom & energy, I am confident I will return to school prepared.” J. Cohen
“I love the practicality of my launch plan. It’s so customizable for me & my kiddos. I love Kristina’s enthusiasm for writing! Wish she could bottle it up & sell it!” M. Parrish
“I am so excited to have some lesson plans already in place for the beginning of the year and am looking forward to boosting my writing block this year! Writing can be so overwhelming for both student & teacher, but I have gained so much in just one day, I’m confident I’ve now ‘got this’!” O. Kleeman
“This workshop helps me feel that I will be able to make my expectations clear in writing. Most of all, I think these new skills will help my students become more independent writers and problem-solvers.” A. Baker
“I have been eager to do a writing workshop but couldn’t seem to get it off the ground. This workshop gives me a calendar to start with first day.” T. Rentrop
“I was able to develop a concise framework of lessons adaptable to all of my intervention grade levels (1-5)! So glad I came!” L. Capatosto
“Everything presented has been applicable to my kindergarten classroom, and I can already feel my confidence as a writing teacher growing! It makes so much sense!” M. Wolff
“I feel like I have a better grasp of launching the writer’s workshop—how it should flow, be introduced in parts, and how each part works together.” J. Burchett
“Wow! I have been to many hands-on workshops but have never walked away with one month planned & such a short to-do list. Usually feel overwhelmed. I’m ready to go teach!” B. Gruner
Thanks to a partnership with the Midwest Teachers Institute, workshop attendees can earn three hours of nationally-accredited graduate credit. The cost of graduate credit is $300 for each 3-hour course.
Registration information will be shared during the 10 a.m. break of each workshop. After the workshop, attendees have 2 weeks to apply their training hours to the program. The cost of graduate credit is separate from the cost of attending a workshop.
Call Smekens Education toll free to learn more.